Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer Squash

Just because summer squash grows easily is not a good reason to plant more than 1 bush.  We don't even like the yellow varieties very much - dark green zucchini is what we want.  So why does my husband have a whole garden full of summer squash?  Honestly, I don't have a clue, but here we go again.

They are just starting to produce, and we'll never be able to eat it all.  I try to check the plants every day, and pick the squash when they are small - very small!  Yes, they'll grow into baseball bats if you let them, but any squash larger than 2 inches in circumference is really uneatable.  What we can't eat, I'll try to give away.  Even that is a challenge; often the excess ends up in the compost.

I do have a good recipe for zucchini cake (bread), and that's what I used today.  Tomorrow is July 4th and family is on the way.  The grandkids will devour the cake and never even realize there are veggies in it.  The cake is moist and spicy.  If I want it to be more like a quick bread, I simply add a little more flour.


Zucchini Cake (or Bread)
Mix together and bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini (or any summer squash)
2 cups flour (or 3 cups for bread)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts

1 comment:

  1. This is a test since my friends say they are trying to send me comments, but are having trouble doing so.

    ReplyDelete