Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy July 4th!

Yesterday was a great party day!  The weather was hot and sunny, but our shade trees and a nice breeze in the backyard kept everyone comfortable.  Well, that and the sprinklers set up for the little kids.  Simple pleasures for us!  Thanks to all the relatives who spent part of their holiday weekend with us.  It was great to visit with all.  My brother-in-law was bothered by the flower beds.   "...way too prim and proper." So he took it upon himself to add a little garden art.  Hmmm.



Today the temps reached 92 degrees, and what did I make? - vegetable soup. It was actually my husband's request, and I was able to get almost every ingredient straight from the garden.  I used onion, summer squash, peas and spinach from the garden.  I had left over beef stock from yesterday's Beef on Wick. Barley and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste gave the soup a little body.  Finally, some cooking sherry, oregano, salt and pepper rounded out the flavor.  We're big soup eaters, even in the summer.  Eaten lukewarm, it was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment