Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cone Flowers and Black-Eyed Susans

Two of my favorite perennials are the Coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea)  and Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta).  I like them for several reasons.  First they are easy to grow and come back every year.  Second, they make great cut flowers. And lastly, they seem to bloom just at the right time in my gardens -- the pansies and lillies are starting to wilt, while the hollyhocks and mums need a little more time.

For years my mother had her small front yard planted almost completely with Black-eyed Susans.  They really are biennial plants (2 years to blossom), but easily reseed themselves.  Once they are established, you'll have blooming plants each year. Black-Eyed Susans

The Coneflower is the true perennial.  It's a little taller than the black-eyed Susan, but with a similar shaped blossom.  Color and size of blossoms are the big difference.  Coneflowers

What can I say?  These flowers just make me happy.  They say summer is in full swing, and we're here in our glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment