Sunday, July 25, 2010

Onion Harvest

It's time to pull the onions!  As you can see in the photo, the tops are dead and dry.  We want the space in the garden for a second crop planting of spinach, so out come the onions.


My method of drying and keeping the onions involves braiding them together.  It's kind of like making a French braid; every time you pull one of the 3 strands to the center, you add in another onion. 

These are yellow onions.  I grew some sweet onions last year, but they didn't keep well.  The yellow onions will last all winter as long as I don't let them freeze.  Right now the onion braids are hanging in the garage. Come December, I'll move them to the cellar so they don't freeze. When I need an onion I just cut one off the braid. Easy, peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment