Sunday, July 25, 2010

Buffalo Garden Walk

Buffalo, NY works hard at improving its reputation of snow and cold, and one successful endeavor is its annual garden walk.  We just spent most of the day touring many city gardens, both large and small.  Absolutely wonderful!  The day started off overcast (actually it was pouring rain in Springville, 35 miles south of Buffalo), but the weatherman promised a great day in the city, so off we went.  My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter came in from Brockport and met us near Buffalo State College.  We got an early start because we knew the crowds would appear as the day went on.  It was smart planning on our part.  Our morning tours were the best.  Owners were friendly and talkative. By the afternoon, when more and more people arrived, it was near impossible to carry on conversations with the gardeners.  It was great to have my son-in-law, the landscaper, along since he was able to identify most of the plants for us.

I love the garden walk because I always see new ideas, new ways to use plants, water features, garden art, and outdoor living areas.  I'm always amazed at the variety of gardens.  It's truly a way to show your individuality.  The more unique the garden, the more I like it.  My granddaughter's favorite was a simple front lawn full of plastic flamigos.  A "photo-op" sign was added, so of course, we did.

I was especially admiring the hydrangeas.  They came in whites, pinks, blues and purples.  I saw traditional bushes, hydrangea trees, climbing vine-like hydrangeas, and tall spiky versions.  I am jealous of them all since my 3 hydrangeas refuse to blossom for me.  Mine are each planted in different areas - 2 shady and 1 sunny.  It doesn't seem to matter; they all grow nice green foliage, but have no blossoms of any color.  What am I doing wrong?  Last fall I surrounded them each with a wire cage and then covered them with leaves.  I thought maybe a protective mulching might make a difference.  Nope.  They die back to the ground; then grow again starting in the spring, but not a single blossom.  Please leave me a comment if you can help me out with this dilemma.

Anyway, I can't compliment Buffalo enough for their garden walk.  It really is a beautiful city with great architecture and some lovely neighborhoods.  Yes, there are some rougher areas of the city, but even these have begun to replace empty lots with community gardens.  They can be very proud of their efforts.  I'll be back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment