Friday, July 2, 2010

Geraniums

Cemetery Flowers - That's what my daughter-in-law dismissively calls the geraniums.  Yes, they often appear in cemetery urns because of their hardiness.  I started about 4 years ago with 10 small geraniums chosen for their red color.  I wanted something red for the front of the house to match my red front door.  Little did I know that my husband would become a geranium fanatic.  He brought those first 10 geraniums into the basement after the summer was over.  Using a folding table and 1 old florescent light, he started by cutting them way back.  Of course, he couldn't throw the cuttings away, so he stuck those in potting soil.  The original plants continued to grow and even bloomed in the winter.  Everytime they got leggy, my husband cut them back again. The cuttings took root easily and 4 winters later those 10 original plants have become more geraniums than I can count.  Everyone who visits gets a geranium or 2 to take home.  We take them to family gatherings by the tray-full. Right today, I counted 33 geraniums in our gardens, and another 6 still waiting in the basement. 

They do have several qualities to commend them.  The bright red blossoms make a striking statement. The blossoms last quite a long time, and continually renew themselves throughout the summer.  I like to plant them in pots because then I can move them around to wherever I need some color.  Perennials are great, but they only blossom for short periods.  Geraniums look great tucked in between the greens of perennials waiting for or finished with their blooms.

Cemetery flowers?  Is that a bad thing?  Not for me.  My geraniums have earned their places in my gardens - and they keep my husband occupied all winter long.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment