Monday, July 19, 2010

Green Beans

I was surprised when I checked the bush beans today. Lots of beans! I thought I had a few more days to wait, but instead I picked a large bowlful. We like green beans grown on bush plants. They are so easy to grow. We plant a couple rows planted about 2 weeks apart.  That way they don't all produce at the same time.  A quick wash, snip the ends, and then 3 minutes of steaming - delicious! 

The extras will be frozen for winter fare.  That's easy to do also.  Dump the beans into boiling water for about 2 minutes, then quickly transfer the beans to an ice water bath.  That's called blanching, and it's necessary to preserve the fresh picked taste after produce is frozen. Pack the drained beans in a freezer bag, label, and pop into the freezer.  I used to freeze the beans first on a cookie sheet before bagging them.  That way they can be scooped out individually, and you can use just the amount you want.  However, I've discovered if the beans are well-drained, I can simply freeze them in the bag and then knock the frozen bag once on the counter to separate the beans. 

My last bean tip:  If some beans seem to be a bit overgrown, separate them out and freeze them with the label "soup beans."  Fully mature beans actually are the best for vegetable soups.

1 comment:

  1. The beans look great. Nice tips on freezing. It's fun to read this blog, but you tire me out!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete