Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What's New at the Farmer's Market?

It's known in our town simply as "The Auction". Every Wednesday, year round, right on west Main Street, is a real happening.  It's a farmer's market, a yard sale, a flea market, a craft fair, and a traditional auction of every conceivable item imaginable from art to Angus.  People come from far and wide to buy, to sell, to socialize, to eat, to treasure hunt. In the summertime it's so crowded, you'd think you were at the State fair. Even now, in late October, business is brisk as folks shop for produce fresh from the farm.

Fall produce was out and waiting for me bright and early - 8:00 a.m. Pumpkins, squash, grapes, and pears.  Brussel sprouts, peppers, cabbage, and broccoli.  And APPLES ! That's what I was after.  Big, juicey, red apples.  Macintosh, Red Delicious, Granny Smiths, Galas, Empires. I bought Cortlands and Honey Crisps.  Cortlands are our favorites - our standard apple. Good for eating, good for cooking. But my sister-in-law was singing the praises of this new apple, Honey Crisps, so I got a small bag of those also.

I'm having my very first Honey Crisp right now. The name fits it. It is crisp; it crunches with every bite. And it's sweet.  I definately like it as an eating apple.  I can't say how it acts in baking.  I'll have to experiment a bit.  

The Honey Crisp
I do know how Cortlands cook up; they're great.  The simplest apple dessert is homemade applesauce.  We love it. Here's how I make it.  I peel and core the apples.  I bring them to a boil with a small amount of water. Simmer the apples until soft.  Then I mash them with a fork; I like to leave a lot of apple chunks.  I add some brown sugar and a little cinnamon. Simple. Y -UM!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that is so so cool! I would absolutely love that! I love markets and this sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete