Saturday, October 23, 2010

Do You Think You Hate Brussel Sprouts?

Hate brussel sprouts? -A week ago my answer would have been yes.  Normally, I eat and enjoy almost all vegetables.  Kale, spinach, beets, parsnips... I'm good with all of these and many more.  But brussel sprouts - I've just never been able to warm up to these mini cabbages.  I've had them boiled or steamed, and the strong pungent odor forewarned me that I wasn't going to enjoy them.  The distinctive bitter taste of boiled brussel sprouts confirmed my prediction.

But never say ol' dogs can't learn new tricks.  Three serendipitous occurrences seemed to be sending brussel sprouts my way.  First, I happened to read a short newspaper article about this vegetable and it's healthy aspects.  Number 2, I came across a recipe that recommended roasting brussel sprouts for the best flavor and elimination of bitterness.  And number 3, there they were at Wednesday's Auction, fresh-cut from the garden.  I didn't know they grew on a tall, thick stalk!  Some of the stalks even had a Christmas tree shape.   The little balls of brussel sprouts looked like ornaments.  Who could resist? The stalks were just too pretty.

So for a mere $2, I bought a stalk and brought them home.  I roasted them exactly as recommended in this recipe: Roasted Brussel Sprouts  I'm glad the recipe told me to expect the sprouts to brown up; I might have thought I was burning them. They were fantastic!  I'm still amazed. I like brussel sprouts!  No bitterness.... salty sweet flavor... single leaves were actually crispy.... mmmm.   I even tried the left-overs cold as one reviewer had suggested.  Yes, they were even good cold!  I just wish I had thought to take a picture before I cut the sprouts off the stalk.  Oh well, that just means I'll have to buy them again next week. 

What have I learned from this adventure?  Never BOIL or STEAM brussel sprouts. Folks, it's all in the way you prepare them.  Roasting is definitely the way to go.

The stalk after brussel sprouts were cut off
Fresh brussel sprouts
Roasted brussel sprouts... and yes, they are supposed to be brown. Delish!

3 comments:

  1. I love brussel sprouts!! My husband hates them but I think he always ate them steamed when he was a kid. I like to cook them on a skillet with lots of butter and Garlic and salt. Key is the garlic it adds such rich flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted brussel sprouts are my favorite too. Just had some last night as part of my Wegman's $6 meal! Gotta love Wegmans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited to try roasting brussel sprouts! My hubby loves them...and steams them...and I can't stand the smell. I tried to eat them for the kids' sake, but I failed miserably and they laughed at my face while I choked one down. So...I'm going to give it another try! I'm actually growing several brussel sprout plants in the garden, and I can't wait until they're ready to try roasting. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete