Wednesday, October 27, 2010

In Search of Red

It was a lovely, warm autumn day during the last week of October, and I went on a hunt for red in my gardens.  I was pleasantly surprised with all that I found.  See for yourself:
The geraniums are still blooming.

Mums, of course
The blueberry bushes
The blueberry bushes really are lovely.
Dwarf rhododendron

A lonely, tiny rose .... yes, it is a rose.
A young pin oak
Okay, it's not red, but really -- petunias in the last week of October - they deserve a shout out!
My burning Bush!!!  It's turning red!!!  It's a miracle!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for red. I just posted red too.Burning bush really burning, you must be glad your BB is finally coming through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still have geraniums growing? Wow! I am loving your blueberry bushes. We planted 2 blueberry plants that we bought from Home Depot but I don't think they survived. Did you plant your blueberries as fully grown bushes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blueberry bushes were planted by the original owners of this home in the 1960's. So they are 50 years old. We cut a few down to the ground each year. They then grow back over 2 years and rejuvenate themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color that Blueberries take on this time of year. 50 years old! I have native ones . . . wonder if I should cut some back. You must get abundant harvests! I simply throw them in jars and then into the freezer. So easy and blueberries in the winter too. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we have lots of blueberries. We sell them from a little stand on our lawn. I freeze all I can't sell or give away. That means blueberry pie, coffee cake, jam, etc. all winter. Yum.

    ReplyDelete