Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Butternut Squash

Here's my entire crop of butternut squash - 9 small squash.  I put the apple in the bowl to show just how small they are. Not too impressive.  I'm not sure what held this crop back this year, but I'll be thankful for what I have.  We like zucchini best of all the summer squash varieties, and we like butternut squash best of the winter squash varieties.

I like winter squash 3 ways:  boiled and mashed, chunked and roasted, creamed and pureed as soup.  Preparation begins the same for each.  First I cut the squash into manageable sizes. (I guess I can skip this step this year since the squash is so small.) Next I peel off the skin. Then I cut the squash into 1 inch chunks.

Now for roasted squash, I toss the chunks in a zip-lock bag with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake squash on a baking sheet in the oven, 350 degrees, for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown and tender.

For mashed squash, boil in a inch of water for about 30 minutes or until soft and tender.  Drain off the water and mash.  Squash varies in moisture.  Sometimes mashing with salt, pepper, and butter is all that's needed.  Other times the squash will seem dry, and then I add milk or cream just like mashed potatoes.  I actually like it best this way.

L to R:  Soup, mashed, & roasted butternut squash
For soup, boil the squash chunks (optional: with a onion) in about 1 cup of water (or chicken stock).  Use an immersible hand blender or your regular blender to puree the vegetables until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add 1 cup or so of cream or milk. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top when serving this soup.

1 comment:

  1. Butternut squash is one of my favorites of the winter squashes too. Sorry for the small size. But at least you got some fruit. We had 8 eggplant plants and only 4 fruit developed and 3 of them were eaten by squirrels, so we only harvested one. Sigh. I had no idea that you could bake ziploc bags! It doesn't melt? Wow!

    ReplyDelete