Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer Dreams


This picture puts me in a dreamy state of mind.  A fellow teacher gave the sunflower to me at the start of the summer in a little pot.  Now it reminds me that school is starting, and my friends are going back to work.  Am I feeling sentimental? Only a bit.  I've loved this summer, and for me I'm counting on several more weeks of it.  I am not feeling the stress of a new school year.  I'm happily contemplating what new adventures my life might hold:
  • Should I keep my garden blog going all fall and winter?  I love writing it, but I get almost no feedback.  Is it enough to write it for myself?  Talk to me... someone.
  • Do we want to invest in a greenhouse?  It's a hobby both my husband and I enjoy.  He especially likes to nurture plants over the winter. We've been looking online at a lovely cedar greenhouse.  Is it worth the cost?
  • Do I want to start a second blog?  I had originally thought I'd write a quilting blog, but thought I'd "learn how" with this gardening blog, since it was summertime.  I have worked on some quilting projects this summer, but winter is the season I really get into that.  And now I have in mind to perfect my cooking skills.  Soups to be exact.  I'd like to perfect my already good soups, and expand my soup repertoire.  Maybe I should blog about that.
  • My daughter is Marketing Director for BASC at SUNY Brockport.  She has organized a "Great Plate Challenge" for her workplace. It's a 60 day Eating for Wellness challenge that starts next week.  I've signed on to see if I can further improve my diet. (Yippee:)
  • Weekly piano lessons for my grandkids, Brooklynn and Brodie, start up again as soon as school is here.  It's time to get Brooklynn to play in church.
Summer daydreams....  I'm so lucky to have the luxury and the time.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunflower picture!!! How about posting some more tips for us beginner gardeners? What should we be doing with our gardens and flower beds this time of year? I'd love to hear some of your garden recipes....maybe some fall soups. Your blog's looking great! Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I know you guys are just getting your flower beds ready for fall planting. Get some good soil in there; maybe add some peat moss. I'll be dividing my perennials at the end of this month; stay tuned for fall planting. I'd work your veggie garden soil up this fall to it would be easier to get it going in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about keeping your blog going is you have to decide if you like it or not. If you like to write keep it going. There will be times when you don't feel like doing it, but posting regularly is the only way to keep traffic. I have written my country living blog for almost two years, get almost no traffic, rarely get comments, but I keep posting when I can because I enjoy it. Most blog writers however are more social than me an actually tell their friends and family about their blog. Of course, most blog writers have better grammar and spelling skills than I do. I recommend trying a couple different blogs to see which topic develops itself. I found that the things I got out of my blog are not what I expected, but then I didn't really know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, I have a butterfly bush that I moved this spring to our new house. It took off really well but now that it's done blossoming should I cut it back some so that it might get more bushy next year? Don't stop, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The grower I bought my butterfly bush from said to definitely prune it back a lot after the frost. She said that it would come right back and much bushier. I'm planning to do that soon. It's great to hear from you, Sue.

    ReplyDelete