Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hostas

Hostas are the workhorses of my flower gardens.  They make everything around them look good, and they just keep doing their job year after year with very little maintenance.  Every time I need more greenery for an area, I just dig and split one of my hostas.  The top photo shows 3 hostas that all came from 1 plant 2 years ago.  They are large and wonderful, even the first year after transplanting.  Yes, they are in bloom right now, but I love them more for their leaves than the blooms.  The leaves come in many colors and sizes.  For me they seem to be able to grow almost anywhere - shade, sun, dry soil, or wet soil.

As soon as the blooms drop, I cut off the blossom stems.  It makes them look so much neater. I will be splitting several of my hostas this fall because they are getting over-grown.  Hear that friends!  I have hostas looking for homes!

No comments:

Post a Comment