Monday, August 9, 2010

A New Bed

I have 3 little Rose of Sharon seedlings in the back corner of our yard.  My husband complains every time he has to mow around them, so... I've decided to create a new flower bed around them.  A larger bed with curved edges is easier to mow around than 3 little sticks.  I'm also looking for a place to move my 3 "non-flowering" hydrangeas.  I have no idea if a move will help the hydrangeas bloom next year, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. This corner is shaded in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. Maybe my hydrangeas will like that better. I also bought another Twist "N Shout hydrangea on sale for $12 - couldn't resist - so that's slated for this bed also.

I found some directions on the web for creating new planting beds that seemed reasonable and easier than digging out all the sod. So here's what I did.  First I used empty pots to space out where I want to put my plants.  Then I used a can of spray paint to mark an outline of the new bed.  Next came layers of newspaper covering all the grass within the new bed.  Lastly with some sweat equity, I spread wood chip compost (stolen from the blueberries) over the newspaper. The internet directions say wait 1 month, and then the bed will be ready for planting. So far, so good; I'll let you know how successful this method is next month when I dig up and replant my hydrangeas.

2 comments:

  1. Your husband must be a saint with all that stuff to mow around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, he is most of the time, but I've had to revamp this bed a bit to make it easier to mow around. And I've learned to not add things to the lawn that require moving when it's time to mow. It's all "give and take.: :)

    ReplyDelete