Friday, April 8, 2011

We're declaring the growing season started!

April 8th, 2011 - Our granddaughter's 8th birthday - And the snow has just finished melting.  We broke out the rakes and hoes for our first real taste of the new growing season.

I headed straight for my flower beds. I left a nice thick leaf blanket on them all winter. I have to peel back the leaves to let the tender new sprouts see a little sunlight. I don't mind this task at all because it's a little treasure hunt to see what is already popping up out of the ground.  Crocus have been appearing for the last week or so; popping right up out of the snow.  How welcome they are!

These tulip leaves have already been chewed on by deer and rabbits.
And there are the tulips - well, tulip leaves anyway.  I don't expect more than 3 or 4 tulip blossoms next month, even though I've planted hundreds over the years.  I have lost this battle to the deer and the rabbits.  Already I can see evidence of their mid-night snacking.  They chew the tulip leaves right down to the ground as fast as they appear.  Last year I tried laying wire fencing flat over the tulips.  This did slow the critters down; they did not like to step on or through the wire fencing.  The only downside was that other perennials got caught as they grew in the fencing also; and were slightly damaged when I pulled the fencing out in June. I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

There are other perennials peeking up: chives -  looking healthy; Jacob's ladder - just planted last year; coral bells - a couple varieties; primroses - divided these plants last fall; hyacinths - must taste bad, critters never touch these; poppies - briefest blossom ever, but so reliable; and my favorite violets - one of the "happiest" flowers I know.  Welcome back, friends.
Chives - Will be able to eat real soon.


Primrose


Coral bells just peeking up.
Poppy
And what about my DH. Yes, he has spring fever also.  Last night he transferred all the greenhouse pieces out to the "construction site".  We're now just waiting on our local builder.  Today he attacked his vegetable garden with vigor.  He's moved dirt, cultivated the soil, put in new timbers for the raised bed, and planted -- yes I said planted -- peas, spinach, onions, lettuce, carrots, and beets.  They are the cool weather crops, and can be planted early, but is he pushing the season a bit?  Maybe.  He says he has seeds left over; that's good in case this first planting rots in the ground.  I'll keep you posted.  Needless to say, we are both experiencing the immediate results of all this work - lots of sore muscles! Our backs are not what they once were.  However, the satisfaction that we get from our gardens makes our aches and pains worth it.  Spring is here, and life is coming back to the land!

This raised bed is getting new edging timbers.


Cool weather crops are being planted.


Greenhouse is awaiting construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment