Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Winter of Our Lives

This has not been a good week.  Two unexpected deaths have left me feeling rather numb.  One was a young girl - former student of mine - with her whole life in front of her.  A tragic car accident leaves a giant hole in her family. Too young, too needless, too hurtful. And Jack - good friend, fellow teacher, newly retired with me - What? Where are you? You can't be gone. You have too much life in you. Lynn needs you. We all need you.

First snowstorm of the season happened yesterday.  More predicted for today and tomorrow.  Fits my mood.  Cold, windy, slippery, cloudy - where's the sun? DH says, "Go take some pictures for the blog." What the heck.  Nothing looks pretty to me right now, but sometimes the camera can help me see things I miss otherwise. 
The wind socks make me think of flying with Jack.  Jack, I was scared to death, but your enthusiasm and confidence was enough for both of us.  It was unforgettable - all 3 trips! You were a man of adventures; thanks for including me in the flying adventure.

Look how the snow blankets the trees.  Sometimes you just have to huddle down and wait for the storms of life to ease.  Jack knew that also.  He never was too busy at school to check on his friends. He was a high school teacher; I was down in the elementary. Sometimes there is a gap between high school and elementary staff even though our school is all one building.  Not so with Jack; he came to the elementary wing regularly to check on his friends - of which he had many. Thanks for the caring; it blanket-ed us many times in the storms.
Right today everything looks cold and grey. These are not black and white photos, but when I first looked at them, I thought they were.  Look carefully at those branches.  There is color there. "Wait," they tell me; storms, nor winter, last forever.  The sun will come back; life's colors will shine again. Memories will last; the sting will fade.
There is a N-E-S-W compass rose behind the bird bath. It's hard to see today because of the snow. But the snow will melt, and the way will come apparent again, thanks in part to the life lessons I've learned from Jack.  Be happy; care for others; be adventurous; learn something new; don't be too serious; a little romance is a good thing; live every single day.  You will not be forgotten. RIP.

3 comments:

  1. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your losses. Thanks for sharing your stories, memories, and wintry photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Charlotte. I feel the same way. It is hard not to feel dark, cold and gloomy right now. Such seemingly senseless loss is hard to deal with. A little girl growing up not knowing her mother is so sad. Losing a friend of 20+ yrs is hard. You reminded me that the gloom will fade and the good memories will return. The sadness will take a while.... I remember Jack coming to "visit" every day for weeks after we lost Liz. He was really making sure we were ok. I will miss our weekly facebooking and texts. There was a very big heart inside him and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Charlotte! Enjoyed reading this and others on your blog!
    John Pfeffer

    ReplyDelete