Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer & Retirement

I am a very recently retired school teacher. In fact, this is my very first day of retirement, although right now it just seems like the start of another summer vacation. The adjustment to retired life is easy right now. It might be a little different come fall.

But, on to my new blog. I am a novice at this, however I have things to say and things to share. My husband and I live in a small village in western NY on a 1 acre lot. It came with 100 mature blueberry bushes in the backyard when we bought it 12 years ago. Since then, we've added flowers and vegetables each year, along with trying to maintain the blueberry patch. We've learned to garden the hard way, through trial and error. We enjoy it. It's like life in general - always a process, a journey, and never quite perfect nor finished.

My first posts will introduce you to our gardens. It's been a warm, moist spring and at present everything seems to be green and lush. We've already grown, eaten, and tilled up a crop of spinach this year. It was delicious. The last little bit is waiting for me right now in my fridge.

Today's harvest was the first picking of the peas. My husband planted 2- 10 foot rows of sweet green peas in mid-April. He trellises them on string netting. They are now overloaded with pea pods. Yum! Lots of pods to get 1 bowl of peas, but they will be greatly enjoyed. I'm hoping I can learn how to share some pictures in short order, because they really look good.

2 comments:

  1. Who's big ass in in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the start of your blog! I think this is a very meaningful way to mark your retirement day. At this timeline, I am sure that you have a wealth of knowledge and wise words to share and I can learn a lot from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete