Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pansy Perfect

I've had great luck with pansies over the years. Not all flowers like my gardens, but this one does, and when I find one that flourishes I go with it. My pansies tend to reseed themselves, and most of the pansies in the beds show up each spring all by themselves. (That's my favorite kind of flower!) I did buy 1 new flat this April that was on sale at the local nursery. Because of the sale pansies, I decided to try them in hanging baskets. Both hanging baskets have been used before - several times - why not? The pot by the front door is Mexican pottery from Alamo, Texas. The pot is actually holding a planter basket of pansies. I rather expected that the planters would do fine in April and May, but would fade as the heat of the summer came on. So far, they are doing fine. I try to keep the ones in pots de-headed, but I don't bother with those growing in my beds. I do water the potted pansies regularly, but hardly ever water the beds. So far, nature is doing that for me.

Here are a few pansy facts:
  • Hardy plant that can survive freezing even during their blooming period
  • Like sunny or partially sunny positions in well draining soils
  • Are normally biennials with a two-year life cycle. The first year plant produces greenery and then bears flowers and seeds in their second year of growth
  • Have been known to reseed themselves
  • Not very heat-tolerant, best used as a cool season planting

No comments:

Post a Comment