Sunday, May 22, 2011

Primrose the Bleeding Hearts

My perennials are taking off.  It's hard to pick a star of the gardens today, but the cool rainy weather has been great for the primroses and the bleeding hearts. I divided my primroses last fall and now I have twice as many.  Yeah!  They are special little bouquets that can't help but elicit a smile.


Happy little primroses


The other stars today are the bleeding hearts.  They spread all on their own, and I actually removed several last fall.  It seems like I had more pink ones in previous years, but this year the white ones are claiming most of the glory.  They are spectacular!
The large white ones are so profuse this year -- very striking.

Large and small bleeding hearts frame my grandson's garden art!  Thanks, Brodie. I love it!
Pink  -- so sweet.

This is another small variety of bleeding hearts.

We've spent hours in the gardens this weekend.  The vegetable garden is planted.  We put the warm weather crops in since there are no freezing nights predicted for the next week, and Memorial Day is usually the last day we worry about frost. We planted cold weather crops (peas, spinach, lettuce, beets, onions, chard) last month, and although they sure had a slow start with our wet and cold, they are now taking off. We should have spinach and lettuce to eat by the end of this next week. Yeah!  I 'll have some pictures soon ... as soon as my aching muscles let me back up from this chair.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment