Friday, September 24, 2010

Cuttings for Next Year

What a lovely September we've had this year. The temperature tied the record high today - 88 degrees. It's been warm and sunny all month so far, but as a life-long resident of western NY, I know it won't last. It's time to pick out my favorite coleus and impatiens for over-wintering.


Here's what I do. I cut several stems of my favorite plants. In our basement, under florescent lights, I ready small pots of regular potting soil. I like to use the fiber pots because they absorb a lot of water. I cut the plants apart into 4 to 6 inch stems. I strip all the leaves off except at the very top of the stem, and then plant that stem - one per pot. All the pots are arranged in a water-holding tray, and I pour water into the trays - as much water as the pots can possibly hold. By keeping these cuttings very moist for at least the first 2 weeks, they will reroot themselves. Then I can keep them going all winter, cutting them back whenever needed, and they'll be ready for another summer in the gardens as soon as the weather allows.
Cuttings for next year.


By the way, the florescent lights are on a timer - 15 hours on; 9 hours off. We use regular florescent lights; they are not fancier "grow lights." We try not to have the lights more than 24 inches above the plants; it seems the closer the better.

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea of taking cuttings of expensive bedding plants to save for next year. I may just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had very good luck doing this with impatiens, coleus, geraniums, and to some degree, petunias. Try it. :)

    ReplyDelete